Cinnamon Churros with Chocolate Sauce
CINNAMON SUGAR COATING
- 1/4 cup caster / superfine sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups+ vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips (Note 2)
- 1/2 cup thickened / heavy cream (heavy cream)
Cinnamon sugar coating:
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl, set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
Add oil and water and mix until just combined - it should be a thick, gummy batter.
- Transfer dough into a piping bag with a 8mm / 1/3" star tip nozzle.
- Set aside while oil heats.
- Heat 5cm / 2" oil over medium high in a small pot, until it takes 20 seconds for a small cube of bread to turn golden.
- Pipe 15cm / 6" lengths of dough into the oil, snipping with scissors (snip close to oil surface to avoid splash).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crisp, rolling occasionally.
- Remove onto paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Then roll in sugar.
- Serve hot with Chocolate Sauce
- Place in a heatproof bowl and microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to cool and thicken slightly.