EL CIELO'S VERSION OF MEXICAN BLACK BEAN TOMATO RICE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15.5-ounce can LA SIERRA - WHOLE BLACK BEANS, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, corn and black beans and cook until the corn and beans are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the diced tomatoes and their juices, chili powder, cumin, rice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Taste for seasoning and serve garnished with chopped cilantro.